Saturday, January 7, 2017

This Week In Dating - 1/7/17

Happy 2017, and welcome to a new series I am starting.  I plan to make this a year-long thing because I feel as long as I write about what's going on during the week, I can see trends and continue to work on myself.

So I'm just going to come out and say it - I SUCK at dating.  Like worse than anything else and worse than anyone.  Why?  Who knows.  It's really distressing.  It's even more distressing how I have people saying "you're such a nice guy you'll find someone soon", knowing they're full of it in that women don't like 'nice guys' even though they say they do.  It is really frustrating to say the least.  I mean, I'm told i'm a good looking guy, being 6'3 and in shape, have a good career, know how to dance, am independent, etc.  Apparently it's not enough.

What really sucks is every time I think I have a system down, the rug is pulled right from underneath me.  So now Blue Martini is closing down, or at least moving.  Whether there will still be a latin dance night is up in the air.

But this year I really want to get better.  This year I want to put this problem behind me once and for all.  I keep saying that, but it still stands.  Last year was one of the worst years not just in dating but just socializing in general.  I went through a huge friends purge, mainly because of the election, and I think I made a couple new friends but not many.  Nevertheless, I'm coming off of last year prepared for this year to make things great again.

So I'm going into this year subscribed to a matchmaking service in town.  I signed up for the basic service for $99 for the year.  I tell them my preferences and all that stuff.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get a call because they work primarily with people who pay for the $4,000/year membership and the $10,000/year membership.  Why are dating services so expensive?  Are they just so much in demand?  I mean, that's money that people just don't have lying around, me especially.  If I had the money, would I pay for it?  I guess I have no choice.  Online dating hasn't been a huge help and I never get any good, proper feedback, which is so important.

In the meantime, I'm signing up for every speed dating and lock 'n key event for my age range.  The first lock 'n key I went to this year, this past week, was pretty much a let down.  I wasn't into any of the girls there.  I think I only selected one girl because she was at least somewhat attractive and I seemed to get along with her but still not totally my type.  The irony is the only girls out of the seven who selected me were the one who was most critical about me and my dating skills and the friend she brought along.  Did I do something right, or did she just select every guy there?  Or maybe she knew if no one selected me that I would have gotten a free event and she didn't want that to happen?  Nah, that would have been too clever.  Whatever the reason was, I wasn't interested in either so I'm not going to contact them back.  Nevertheless, I need to keep going to these events, even if it takes me to the end of the year.

I can talk about dancing too, something I'm going to be doing more and more of this year including private lessons, which I'm really looking forward to.  I feel the dance floor is my place to shine, but a lot of times it can be difficult when the girls are either not attractive or the girls that are attractive are already in serious relationships or are just not compatable, but I think that's going to be the case no matter where I go or what I do.  That's why I really hate it and beat myself up when that rare occurrence comes up of me dancing with a girl who I have a feeling is into me but I'm afraid to get rejected or get embarrassed or whatever, even though the scenarios that always pop into my head are very unlikely to happen.  But nevertheless, I'm looking forward to tonight's bachata social.

Until next week.

1 comment: