Monday, April 18, 2016

My Experiences In Pickup: David DeAngelo

What's the best way to start this series than at the beginning with the one source that got me started with the Pickup Community - David DeAngelo and Double Your Dating.

I already talked about how I was introduced to David DeAngelo and ultimately the Pickup Community via intriguing link on OkCupid.  I downloaded the ebook Double Your Dating and I was completely amazed by what I read.  Now here was someone who I felt wouldn't hold back and was telling the honest to God truth as to why I haven't been successful with women in the past.  Most poeple, particularly friends and family, would give the typical advice and think that I was doing everything right in being a nice guy who will eventually get the girl, but of course that never panned out.  It was because of reading Double Your Dating that I just miraculously discovered and decided that "sagas" were a waste of time.  A saga is another name for a crazy obsession/crush over a single girl for a long period of time, or what the PUA Community likes to refer to as "oneitis".

Not only did I follow the advice from Double Your Dating, but I also subscribed to the emails David sent out on a daily basis.  It was a lot of the same advice from the book but reemphasized.  Basically the jist of the advice was women were mainly attracted to personality moreso than looks or wealth, insecurity and neediness kill your chances with women, and being cocky and funny was key.  Cocky & Funny was David DeAngelo's signature dating strategy, if that's what you'd like to call it.  He further emphasized on this in his second ebook called Attraction Isn't A Choice, which talked about how women are attracted to jerks moreso than nice guys even though nice guys are clearly a better choice.  From there I got a couple of CD's from his monthly interview series, where he interviews guys like Dr. Paul and talk about subjects like the psychology of women and perseverance through dating challenges as well as strategies for online dating.

Later, I took interest in David DeAngelo's DVD series, which covered multiple subjects like body language, cocky comedy, meeting women in clubs and bars, inner game, and even the advanced dating program.  I was hooked, but I didn't have the money to buy all of them outright.  I started with a few at a time.  The first once I checked out was the Cocky Comedy DVDs.  Basically this DVD series, like the rest of David D's DVD series, are filmed seminars focusing on specific topics.  David will do a presentation and then have several guest speakers come up and talk.  This is how I got introduced to many of the guys involved in the community including guys like Mystery and Sean Stephenson.  I was really drawn in to Sean Stephenson, who gives some of the best motivational talks and I even went on to read a couple of his books after.  There were guys advertising bootcamps and coaching etc., most of which didn't exist by the time I watched the DVDs since most of them were filmed in the mid 2000's.  Since I didn't know better and since I was really bought in by the marketing, I just had to have more and more and more, thinking as long as I soak up all the information, I will overcome all the obstacles standing in my way to have the best relationship/sex life ever.

There were some other pickup gurus that I got into either as a result of watching one of David D's programs or through one of the other gurus, like using the network to my advantage.  As I started getting into these other guru's, my interest in David DeAngelo started to significantly wane.  However, I was following a new found philosophy and knew I couldn't turn back.  The problem was by the time I got into David D's material, he was already facing retirement.  He only came out with one new product since then, which was Becoming Mr. Right.  After that, he officially retired the David DeAngelo name and became Eben Pagan and started talking about finance and entrepreneurship instead of dating and sex.  I never met David D in person, and from what I understand I'm glad that's the case; I heard he isn't very nice in person and has been rude to followers of his.  I think he even blocked me from his Eben Pagan Facebook page when I mentioned David DeAngelo in the comments on one of the posts.

Looking back, I feel like an idiot for falling for a lot of the marketing.  I spent hundreds of dollars on David D material.  However, a common thing I'm going to bring up over and over again is I cannot bash anything without experiencing it first.  Besides, getting into David D's material was what I started to see as the first step in the right direction, but I would later continue to walk through the marketing and BS.

Join me next time as I talk about the Secret Spartan Society (SSS), a local group in Tampa that I partook in based on my interest in David DeAngelo and pickup.

No comments:

Post a Comment